Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thoughts On Being Single

"I was quite shocked!"
It happened upon a rather distracted moment within my mind, when a sudden beastly thought of utter horridity hit me. As beastly thoughts often do hit you when you least expect them to, I was quite shocked by the flagrant audacity of such a thought that I cried in all my vexation: "Why! Beastly thought, how dare you enter my brain! Be gone, I say!"

But it was a nasty, slimy, little thought, quite stubborn and quite unyielding. It slinked and slithered around the more poorly patrolled borders of my head and eventually, quite unnoticed by my defenses, wormed its way inside.It then whispered to me:

"What if there are no gentlemen left in this world?"

Goodness! I couldn't get the worry out of my head. I mean... what if it were true? What if the moral quintessence of our society has deteriorated so greatly that there are no such things as decent men anymore? What if they are all naughty or perverted or unfaithful or unemotional or shallow or players or other horrid things... I became suddenly depressed thinking on such things. I thought about all the boys I have liked in the past, how dismally it had ended, either for me or for them. What if it were true? What if I had outlived the Era of the Gentleman? But then, thankfully, God drew me out of my silly thoughts and I reminded myself that I was a rather dramatic, overemotional lady.
 

Even the past boys that I have liked have showed a trait or two of characteristics which I would prize in a husband. One boy I use to like taught me how to share deep, intellectual conversations and witty banter. Another boy I use to like taught me how to love myself and to be brave enough to stand up for who I am. One showed me all the things I did not like about myself, yet challenged me to grow. One taught me how to act silly and stupid and how to have fun. Another one still, taught me the power of optimism, and the strength of joy and silliness. But each boy on their own would never have fit me quite right. Yet, God has brought into my path a myriad of boys who have helped, in an odd, weird way, to give me to hope again in the race of man. And one day if I could find a boy who had all of these traits that I loved, then that would be a man to whom I'd actually want to give my heart away!

Right now, I feel incredibly blessed to be single. And really, I am not single at all! I belong to God and there is no boyfriend, husband, or man on earth who could fill up my heart as fully and completely as he does. Personally, as crazy and rebelliously against our dating obsessed society as this sounds, I have no desire to date right now. I have no desire to give away anymore of my precious time to these "almost" boys. And I would hate to be an "almost" girl to any one of them! Right now, I feel like God is filling up all the emptiness in my heart and teaching me to treasure where I am at this moment in time. And to be completely truthful, I'd rather be single my entire life than to  give up this joy and treasure of God's presence in my heart. 

I know there are nice boys out there. I know, somewhere and if it is in the Lord's plan, a good hearted gentleman waits for me. And ladies, you must remember, just because they are getting harder to find, doesn't mean they don't exist. Trust your match making to the Lord. And believe in the good things to come! And above all, view being single as a blessing and an opportunity to fully focus on and serve our loving Father!

<3

1 comment:

  1. Baby Jennie, as I read this beautiful post, the stark reality of what was missing in you girls life was brought home again, very poignantly. But as I read on, my heart soared as it does every time I am witness to your strong true faith in our God. For although you did not have what is the deepest need of every little girl, the proper example of a strong Christian male role-model, still you rose above all that and chose your Heavenly Father to look up to. His unending love and care has fashioned you into a beautifully strong, faithful Christian woman. He has given you strength of heart and a hope for happiness,not only here on this earth, but for all eternity as well. No matter what this world brings you, you and He will go on forever because His Love is one that truly will not ever die! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...